Monday, November 5, 2007

The Next Crosby?

What a blast! As I made my season debut for the Coca Cola / Yankee Doodle Dandy Team, I was nervous about making a good showing. I watched a team that played well together going against a Don's Auto Team that looked fired up.

I also had an opportunity to make my prediction come true and help Coke/YDD beat the opposition. We played well and kept the game close and seemed to do all the right things even down to the wire. Down by 1 with just seconds remaining in the 3rd, goalie pulled and a face off in Don's end, a movie writer couldn't script it better. My Vegas teammate and center, Glessner takes a deep breath, glances over his right shoulder as if to say "its coming back". Puck drops, perfect draw straight back to me. I glance up and witness what looked like 50 players between me and Mr. Anderson. In typical Joe fashion, I take the only shot I know (even though Bishop would always yell at me to keep it low), I fire the the shot hoping for some pinball action, but ironically enough it found its way through and tied the game.

Valiant effort by Reeves in the shootout as he stope the first 4 shooters and only allows 1. As for Coke/YDD, each member took their best shot at a goalie that was just "on" that night. Perfect 0-5 for Scott in net during the shootout to get the win for Don's.

Hard battles, broken sticks, broken skate blades and all around great effort by all. Thats was a fun game for me.

2 comments:

NeilG said...

I would have to say that's the sweetest draw I've ever taken. I did my part, you did yours. Too bad it didn't result in a "W" but it was great anyway.

alienhockey said...

It actually happened as if we practiced it regularly. Coach would be proud.

I had goosebumps after the shot.