Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Needing All the Facts!

I have been making these predictions for the adult league for several seasons now. Prior to this gig, I was a top handicapper of the Swedish Elite Co-ed Bungee Jumping Association. Do you know the main difference between these two sports for me? Not an elastic band. Not ice. Its called honesty.
What are you talking about, you are probably asking. Let me explain as I make my picks.

Alien Joe Vs. Irwins/Legends

Gambling on sports outside of Las Vegas is illegal. Most of us know this, but some have chosen to give into this evil and have affected others. I wondered how I would make great picks using all my resources (injury report, defensive match ups, history, etc.) and then be wrong. My question was answered during our last trip to Vegas for our Adult Tourney. A few of us were putting a few dollars on some hockey games to make them more interesting as we watched. As I stand behind one of my teammates, in line waiting to place my wager, I over hear him tell the agent "Give me $5,000 on Alien Mike". Needless to say, I was shocked. One of my closest teammates & best friends was betting on OUR league! He didn't notice I overheard it and smiled as he turned around to see me. Here was a player using inside information that I provided, for his own gain. Then it hit me. Was he also betting on our own games? Does he "create" the outcome he needs for the big payoff? We have yet to confront this individual and we'll call him "Radam Slowell" to protect his identity. For this week's game I'll only play and wonder, "Did he lose that face off on purpose?", "Did he not cover the point and allow that shot on net?" After calling his bookie behind his back, he's got $3,000 against us Wednesday. I'll try to not let it happen, but don't know if we can do enough to make a difference. Irwins/Legends by 1.

MP Security Vs. YDD/Coke

Your only allowed to play for 1 team in C League. In Des Moines that is. What about Ames? Cedar Rapids? Mason City? Kansas City? There are leagues in all the before mentioned cities and each have adult leagues. You want to hear the eerie part? Ames plays Monday. Cedar Rapids Tuesday. Mason City Friday. Kansas City Saturday. Conveniently, our league plays Wed (and sometimes Thursday). Convenient how you ask? As I was sharpening a players skates from MP Security on a Thursday night, I mentioned "Getting the skates sharpened well in advance huh?" They responded (without thinking), "No we have a game tomorrow." As I sharpened the skates, I couldn't stop thinking about what he had said. I knew there were no play & plays. No league games, or make up games, no stick & pucks...nothing. I had to probe into this. While ringing him up (again, identity of pictured player is kept confidential), I could see beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. There was something fishy going on here. With my best investigative demeanor, I nonchalantly asked "So where do you play tomorrow?" That did it. Complete breakdown. Only after 2 hours of sobbing, he confessed it all. The MP Security team has been playing in 5 leagues! They wanted to get better he said and once per week was not enough. He even went on to tell me that they were registered for the Quad Cities on Thursdays to play in 6 leagues, but with the added Thursday game here in Des Moines, that plan was foiled. So we ask, how does this team get that good? Ice time.
MP Security by 2.

Slapshot Vs. Alien Mike

In the game of hockey, endurance is king. In life, youth is king when it comes to endurance. If we took any of our adult teams and put them against a team like the H.S. Des Moines Capitals, the adult team would lose. Not because of skill, speed, accuracy, goaltending or skill. In the game of hockey, all that is overrated. Its endurance. Who can outlast the others. Our league is an adult league correct? Why does Alien Mike have not 1 but 2 players that are 15 years old? Who you ask? Since we don't check birth certificates (and they probably have fake ones at that), it will never come out. I'm sure everyones first reaction is to say "I knew Mikey was young..but that young?" Guess again. Rob Wheeler & Tim Close. Guilty as charged. Do NOT let the gray hair fool you. Anyone of us can go and buy product right now off the shelf and add that distinguished look. These 2 have a rare disorder called angiocartesopgraphelio. It makes them look over 40, but they have every physical ability of a 15 year old. My proof? Once again, caught in the act. As I browsed the aisles of Best Buy one quiet Tuesday at 11 AM (we don't open until noon), looking for the Season Set of Baywatch on DVD, I overheard some familiar voices. I peaked around the corner to my horror to see Rob & Tim playing Guitar Hero on the XBOX 360! Relax, I thought...maybe their testing it as a gift for their kids. But as I listened closely I heard the following:

"Aw no you didn't just nail 'Even Flow' by Pearl Jam ...dawg."

"Let's grab some Mickey Ds, head to the crib and chill."

"For sshizzel. We'll throw out some shouts to our peeps on the west coast on the IM"

After more research I found out that these two "frauds" have been using their younger brothers to act as "sons". That's just wrong. In the end, their endurance will outlast us all and Alien Mike by 3 in this one.

Bearings Group Vs. MISF

Most teams have a sponsor that supports either a person on the team or the sport of hockey. Legends is a fine example of an eating establishment that supports a bunch of guys playing hockey for fun. After all, this isn't serious business...or is it...to some? As I was blogging some previous entries, I wanted to give Bearings Group some recognition and props for sponsoring a team. To research what the company is about, I'd give the old reliable GOOGLE a try. After all, you can find anything on the Internet. Sometimes more than you bargain for. I type in "Bearings Group Des Moines" and the results bring back an address on the top, but no link to a site. Hmmmm...I ponder. As my eyes scan down the page, I notice the first 2 entries are links to http://www.dmahockey.com/. The next 2 links go to dead ends or are unrelated. Here is the scariest part. The next 2 links after that go back to MY BLOG! There is NO BEARINGS GROUP! You think I'm kidding...give it a try. It is a front for a major underground network for rehabilitating professional hockey players. This "group" scours the globe looking for superstar players that need a bit of down time to get back on track. Once they get back to 100%...off they go to the Russian Elite League, Canadian All Stars, and even the NHL. Ask them next time you see them, "Where's Rocky?", "Where's Fred?"..you will not get a straight answer. I can tell you. Both back in the pro ranks. Just a matter of time before "Blickley" & "Brus" get healthy. Who comes up with these non-realistic phony names anyway. How did they come up with "Bearings Group" ?
B - Bringing
E- Every
A - Athlete
R - Ready
I - In
N - Novice
G - Games
S - So
G - Goal
R - Remains
O - On
U - Utilizing
P - Professionals
Clever. Bearings by 1...just enough to hide it.


The fraud continues in D League as well....more to come.


No comments: