Thursday, May 15, 2008

Battles of Epic Proportions

Before I make my Week #5 predictions, I wanted to reiterate for all D League Players that many of you are new to the sport and are just learning the game. Others maybe played years ago and are getting back into the sport. Still others may be are picking up the sport quicker than your fellow players. In the end, when I created D League, it was with the intention of being a developmental league. It was designed to introduce those adults who never had a chance to play the game as kids, but loved the sport enough to try it. We were always making sure that only true D League players were in the league and when players got too good, they would voluntarily move up, if not the decision was made for them. Anyone who feels its fun to be the take over dominating player in D League should not be in D. There is a place for you...its C League. D league has always worked well even though there may have been varying levels of talent.

It is a humbling experience to those top players in D league to play in a higher level. They will also agree that it is more fun and challenging to play against better competition than it is to dominate those still learning to skate or having to "play down" in an attempt to not take over a game. I remember a funny situation where my cousin Mikey & I challenged a group of D League players to a game. It was Mikey & I only (with no bench subs) and Shane as goalie against 10 players. We played 5 on 2 for 3 periods. Those that know me know I'm not by any means a "dominating player" in C league, but Mikey & I won that game 11-1 (I believe). We are friends with just about everyone from that outing and many are on the Alien team.

The point is that it is not fun for anyone to lose (or win) really big. Our Alien Vegas Team experienced this and getting outshot 100-2 was not cool for either team.

When I make my "predictions" and point spreads for C & D League, they are all meant in fun. When I say a team will win by 9, I don't really mean it. Hopeful most know its just a comical spin to make reading about hockey interesting. There really is not a compound for D league players, all quotes by players are made up, and I want everyone to have a great time...so here are my simple picks this week.

B & B Vs 11 to 7 Insurance
The battle of the top 2 teams square off. I simply predict B & B by 2 for this game as Hobbs makes the best Poutine in town.

Alien Hockey Vs Cup O Kryptonite
Alien to win this won by 1 goal. Actually the score will be 1-0, Tony gets a shutout and my wife scores the lone goal top shelf on a breakaway (just cuz I love her so much).

Good Luck, Have Fun & Play for the Right Reasons!


2 comments:

Tony said...

You said the S-word. Thanks for jinxing me Joe.

Lax Guy said...

Thanks Joe! I got an easy one on Tony because of that. He did put up a sheet of plexiglass to keep my poking shots out though...
It was nice to see one of our newbies score two on Tony tonight!
By the way, well said. Although I know I am on the cusp of moving up, I chose to stay in D in mentoring capacity this season and teach by example. Especially the importance of communication on the ice (the most ignored hockey skill of them all...)