Monday, February 25, 2008

We Should Learn From Kids 8 & Under

Yes, my hair was colored green.

My cousin & co-coach, Mark, also sported the grassy colored hair. We had our first playoff game this evening and wanted to support our team and add some fun.

We coach an 8 & Under Mite House League Team (the Stars) and our powerful record of 3-12 put us as the #5 seed out of 6 teams going into playoffs (yes, there is a team with even less wins than 3).

Our philosophy has always been to get the kids to improve from when they started. After all, will anyone remember (or care) 10 years from now if their Mite Team won the house league championships back in 2007? If someone does care, then I feel sorry for that person.

So today we faced the #2 Red Wings (11-4), and we told the kids in the locker room, play hard, do your best, and win or lose, have fun. They skated their best and ended the game in a 3-3 tie.

More importantly, I saw something with our kids during this game, that we in adult league can learn from. There were many similarities between our 2 leagues, so I'll recap what I saw tonight and you can decide how it compares to our league.

  • The ref didn't make every call perfect (like in adult league) - but never did a kid challenge, argue or discuss with the ref
  • Kids got knocked down and ran into each other (like in adult league), but they never exchanged words with their opponent, never went after their opponent, nor did they come to the bench complaining how dirty the other team is
  • Kids were out of position many times (like in adult league), but they never yelled at their teammates or argued

You may say that kids are not as smart, or maybe naive about the game, but I disagree. Hockey is hockey. Its a game. Right now its fun for these kids, but at some point, it will be played for the wrong reason. One day, a coach, parent or other will take the "fun" out of it. Is there any reason an adult team can't go 3 - 12 and still have fun?

Both the kids and adults play 5 on 5 hockey, with a goalie, need water between shifts, think they can play longer shifts than they should, love to celebrate when they score and want treats after the game. Lets get the adult league to not complain to the ref, not take things personal and play fair. After all, in the end both the adult league & kids league shake the opponent's hands after every game and can't wait until the next game.

3 comments:

brekke said...

GREAT POST!!!!

I hope everyone reads this, and, like me feels foolish for some of their actions over the past few months.

MARK said...

Very good point, Very Scary Picture.

mongo said...

as a goalie, I've had ups and downs in my playing. finally though, I remembered that I started to play to have fun. I've only been playing for about 2 years now, and have a blast. I love to play over my head, as it really makes it a challenge but it also allows for growth. I'm beyond getting angry for any stretch of time on the ice. IT"S NOT WORTH IT! This is a "simple game" that is best played for fun. Why is it as adults we have to suck the fun out of everything and make it work? We should be enjoying the time on the ice, because you never know when it may end.