Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm Back...

Wow...miss a few days of blogging and the world falls apart and everyone wants your head!

After being gone a few days to the hockey trade show in Vegas (the shiny lights & ringing bells are not all their cracked up to be), I have come back to a very busy time at the shop. I'm getting caught up on the blog (and have much to talk about) so be patient as I get hockey info of all sorts out to everyone.

I will start by stating that I take no responsibility for last Wednesdays picks. Good ole Mikey tried to help out and the only one he got right was his own team losing! Way to throw the game to at least get that one right.

Here goes this week's picks.

C Wednesday

Plaza Printers Vs. Alien Joe
The Alien crew is looking slim this week with 4 key players missing. Bishop (off on some other Caribbean adventure), Van Patten (another work trip somewhere), Lowell & Topliff (banging their heads to some Van Halen) are the ones we know are gone. With Goalie Barker out with a torn hamstring, the team's finely tuned engine is having a small "mis-fire". No worries though as the key role player Whitaker takes the ice to fill in the blanks. Plaza is now 4 pts behind Alien Joe and wants to close that gap. "We're gonna buy them the first round after the game." declared Plaza's Mulford. "It will be our way of apologizing for the whooping". I still like Alien Joe in this game by 2.

Legends Vs. Irwins
One by one, Irwins is looking to make their climb. They knock off the powerful Plaza Printers last week, and move on to their next victim in Legends. "I've won my last 2 games" pointed out Goalie Davis. " I've looked ahead on the schedule and see no real challenge from here to the playoffs." Teammate Anderson agreed, " I know we should be a B League Team. With guys like Jordan, myself & Wente, its just not fair to play us." Irwins is not flustered. As top winger, Wallace came in to Alien Hockey to sharpen her skates, she asked, "Can you sharpen these in such a way, that I'm forced to skate slower?" I asked why she wanted that to which she replied, "I'm too fast for Legends to catch...I'm just trying to make it fair." Irwins by 1.

Alien Mike Vs. Bearings Group
No brainer on this one. I don't think Alien Mike has won a game against Bearings. Now that he has a "real" job with "real" hours, and "real" responsibilities, capatin Mike should try and "really" play. "I'm still looking in the USA Hockey rulebook for clarification", mentioned Brown of Alien. "I don't think you are allowed to play with a mullet in men's league." He feels thats a distraction to the game, not to mention non-hygienic. Bearings is looking to get out from the middle of the pack and climb a few points before playoff seeding. Team leader VerMulm proclaimed, "I'm taking the jerseys back if these guys don't start performing. There is a women's quilting team I'm looking at sponsoring...they move quicker than our guys." Bearings by 3.

Sunday C

Don's Auto Vs. Coca Cola / Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Don's team is unstoppable at this point. After a convincing win against the Alien Vegas team (twice), a big win at Wells Fargo in an exhibition against Bearings, they are the Sunday team to watch. With an international flair, this crew can skate around anyone. "We don't feel bad beating everyone" voiced Davidson, Captain of Don's. "They SHOULD fear us!" Coke/YDD is nervous going into this game. "I bring extra briefs" mentioned Mudge of Coke, "When they skate during warm ups I get nervous and sometimes tinkle myself." More info then we need. Don's by 3

Waste Management Vs. Slapshot
Now that Coady's skates are properly sharpened, watch out for Slapshot. They are bonding as a unit. Mattis & Tourigny of Slapshot noticed, "Now that Wermers is gone, we can step it up. He was always hogging all the goals." Waste Management has also found a new chemistry on their team. "Now that we figured out that offsides is bad and so are 8 minute shifts, we have everything in place to win many games" said Thiele of WM. I still don't think taht helps then this week as Slapshot wins by 2.

D League Sunday

Alien Hockey Vs. 11 to 7 Insurance
"This game is just a formality" pointed out Green of 11 to 7. "Our focus is on the playoffs." Miller, Gardener & Anonson have become the role players of this team to support the Phenom of Grahm. "We're the diversion Grahm needs" pointed out the trio. Alien Hockey has a different view. With their top 7 players having 6-13 points, they bring a balanced attack. "When everyone focuses on Keller, I jump in and suprise them" observed Kindred of Alien. This team attitude and focus makes me lean Alien by 3.

Cup O Kryptonite Vs. B & B

What exactly does "B & B" stand for? "Better & Better"?, "Bad & Battered"?, "Beavis & Butthead"? Regardless of its name, this team shows heart. Never losing focus, they hold on to the fact that every team makes the playoffs. Kryptonite has another view. "Be embararrased now or later...makes no difference to us", stated Hartley of Cup. This confident, sometimes cocky attitude may get them in trouble during playoff time...but not for this game. Cup by 5.

No comments: