Thursday, January 8, 2009

What Can You Buy For $95?

Your own piece of heaven.

I've heard many talk about personal backyard rinks. Everything from official size ones with boards to simply flooding a small piece of their yard. How cool would it be to have a place of your own to skate whenever you wanted?

I've always come up with reason to not make one, but last year I gave it a try..the key word was "try".

It never came to be as I started to build it once snow was on the ground. That was the first mistake. After pouring probably 32,000 gallons of water into a poorly constructed frame and plastic with holes, I gave up and had to wait for Spring in order to clean up the yard. But this year would be different.

I planned. What you see pictured is very simple. (10) 2x8, (1) piece of rolled plastic 28'x20', and a box of deck screws. All for approx. $95 at your local Home Depot, Menards or Lowes. Its nothing too fancy, no 4' high boards, or painted red lines..heck not even a net (yet). But we now own a 24' x 16' piece of frozen heaven. After a game on Tuesday, a 1-1/2 hour practice today, an upcoming 4 game weekend that starts tomorrow, my 8 year old comes home today (after coach made them do lines, suicides, herbies, or whatever you call them)...and wanted to skate. Ahhhhh...to be in heaven.

3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is feel good......

Lax Guy said...

Thought about building one on the deck of my third floor apartment. Wonder what Hubbel would say...
Where were you last night? It was a great game. Team 3 actually won!

ries21 said...

i made my first one this year. but mine was $130 and its out at my grandmas farm..bad choice because they have well water so im having a problem filling it