Monday, April 6, 2009

Calling All Campers (Adults & Kids)



Champions Hockey Academy is coming back to put on another great camp this June 8th - June 12th.

With so many camp options out there and everyone competing for business, I wanted to provide some info on what I know about Champions.

Marty Wilford & John Krouse started this camp back in 2007 when it was known as the Stars Development Camp. They were both affiliated with the Iowa Stars at the time and after a successful turnout and rave reviews, they decided to do it again in 2008. This time, a new look, logo & name was created that better reflected what they were about. With these changes, Champions Hockey Academy was created.

Another successful camp in 2008 had people already wanting the camp to return the next year. With John's move to the San Antonio Rampage organization & Marty Wilford's contract to play in Germany, the camp's future was up in the air. After enough requests & some discussion, they decided to once again return for another year!

Someone reading this review may say that I am biased, and they would be right. I have been involved with this camp since the very first year. Not only have I participated in the Adult Camps each year, my son has also done the fundamental camp each year as well. On top of this, I have volunteered my time to be an on & off-ice helper the entire week for both years. I can say that having seen what goes on behind the scenes of making this a success makes me a believer in John & Marty.

The instructors are top notch and enjoy working with the kids and teach them alot. The off-ice instruction & strength training put on by "Stretch" is excellent as well. Even the cooking, planning & catering of Marty's wife, Shelly cannot be overlooked. All in all, many take it seriously to insure that the kids & adults have a great time & learn alot.

Marty makes his home in Des Moines during the off-season. I believe its important to support your local camps first, but only if they are worth attending...and this one truly is. They have taken the opportunity to offer some early bird discounts & multi-family discounts. I have been asked to help spread the word, answer questions & collect registrations. I encourage anyone with questions to contact me.

Here is a link to a registration form as well.

http://www.alienhockey.com/champions09form.pdf

I hope to see everyone there & spread the word about this great camp.

No comments: