Thursday, July 10, 2008

New Look, New Start, Same Sport ?

So here we have it. No more Iowa Stars. No more Green & Gold, no more chanting "Go Stars Go."

I attended the press conference a few days ago that announced the new name. As they played a video that was building up to the great announcement, I could feel the crowd thinking, "Ok already, just tell us the name!"

And then it came. Welcome the Iowa Chops.

There wasn't a thunderous applause, nor was there any obnoxious boos. Rather, a polite clapping filled the room. I wondered why there wasn't a bigger reaction (either good or bad). Then I came to this conclusion. Who wanted to risk the "wrong" reaction. What if the guy in the 3rd row heard "Iowa Chops" and felt his life long dream had been met and stood on his chair hooting and hollering about how awesome it was. Meanwhile the lady next to him had the reaction of "Oh, a screaming pig with fangs, how clever.....not."

Nobody wanted to give any indication of how they felt in fear of what others around them thought. I was one of those.

I like the name. It didn't hit me at first, but my opinion has always been that any name would give the same reaction. Its a new name that nobody is used to, so unless you were crossing your fingers during the build up thinking "C'mon, be the Chops, please be the Chops", your reaction should have been one of surprise.

After a few minutes of it being announced, I heard the grumblings of "You know, I kinda like it" or "the more I see it, the more I hate it" or "Why are we a knock off of the Ice Hogs". Again, I have no problem with opinions, suggestions, comments, etc. Its discussion about a new team coming that is exciting and should be discussed. Here is where my problem lies.

I read countless comments on the Des Moines Register's website about the name. I'm glad we live in a country where we can freely express our opinions, but I personally don't like when comments are made behind secretive screen names. There are too many negative comments about not only the Chops name, but also negativity about hockey in general, the AHL, sports, the state of Iowa, etc.

Basketball is not a favorite sport of mine, but when the Iowa Energy was announced, I didn't spend my days (and nights) bashing a bad name, bad level of talent, unintelligent fans, etc. Who am I to judge another person's passion. As long as it does not hurt me, why rain on someone else's parade. This is especially directed to those who commented about not going to watch hockey because the name was "dumb" yet they still proclaimed themselves as hockey fans. Are you kidding me? The team could have announced that the new name was "The E85 Corndogger Flood Relief Tornados" and I would still go to every game (although it would be an awfully long cheer). Hockey fans don't care what the team is called...they enjoy the game.

I do agree with one aspect of the negativity. Many commented on the Chops name giving Iowans a bad name, and others would associate us with dumb hicks, farmers, pork, etc. This is true. I would never visit Albany, NY. Their AHL team is the River Rats. Have you seen their logo? A sickly beat up rat carrying a hockey stick. Can you imagine what the people in Albany look like? I would be afraid of the diseases I would contract if I visited there.

Then you have Lowell, Massachusetts. The Lowell Devils. Ouch. A town of satan worshipers that would try and convince you that evil deeds are the right way of life. How dare the Devil Dawg mascot go to the library to promote reading to kids, or to Hascom Airforce Base to welcome back the troops. There must be evil intentions behind that demonic city.

Lastly, look no further than our own backyard. If you think people from other cities, states & countries will look down on Iowans because we have a hockey team named the Chops, what about the Buccaneers? According to my research, I found the following: "The buccaneers were pirates who attacked Spanish, French, and Dutch shipping in the Caribbean Islands during the late 17th century. Among the leaders of the buccaneers was a Frenchman named Daniel Montbars, who destroyed so many Spanish ships and killed so many Spaniards that he was called "the Exterminator" Personally, I'd rather have people think we have pigs & pork chops, then to think we pillage and steal and attack the Spanish, French & Dutch.

My points are just my opinions. I'm not asking anyone to love the name Chops, or to become a hockey fan because of the name. If you like the name, great. Wear the gear proudly, eat a pulled pork sandwich and enjoy. If you don't like the name, but still like hockey, go cheer them on. Whisper "Go Stars" or "Go Thunder" under your breath, but don't leave the game and become a fan of spelling bees. But most importantly, make your opinion mean something. Don't hide behind the name "ChopsHater08" or "E=mc2" especially if you are against hockey. My mom taught me if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything.....or move to Albany, NY you lousy River Rat.

4 comments:

A-Lo said...

Joe, while I love the way you make your point, I couldn't help disagree with a lot of what you said. First of all, if people followed the rule "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...where would we get in this world? Nowhere. Second of all, with maybe the exception of the one person I heard about that wouldn't go to games because of the name, I haven't heard anyone else voice that same sentiment. I am a hockey fan. I will go to the games and support the team. That does not mean I have to like the name or buy something with an ugly pig on it to show my support. I support the troops, but do not wear army shirts.

Next....why are we the chops and have a logo of a pig? Aren't chops the bi product of a pig that has been slaughtered? Not much thought was put into this in my opinion.

Next....I don't think anyone is saying they wouldn't visit Iowa because of the name...but it gives into the stereotype that Iowa already has of being farmers and hicks. I don't think Albany already has a stereotype of being river rats, so the name is not going to have any effect. It's the same feeling we get when Iowa is portrayed in movies with cornfields and pig farmers. That is not the way everyone lives in Iowa.

Bottom line. The name was a sellout. Plan and simple. Will I get used to it? Probably not. Will I go to the games. Yes. Should we all get our 15 minutes to voice our unhappiness with the name selection. Yes. Yes. Yes.

-Holly

alienhockey said...

Love your comments. I always like a healthy debate. Most importantly, I like that you signed your name. You didn't just spew a bunch of non-sense attacking hockey without saying who you were, but rather expressed your opinions with your feelings and emotion. Thanks.

My argument for your comment of "why are we the chops and have a logo of a pig?" is this. The logo does not need to be the same as the team name. Dallas Cowboys = A Star. NY Giants = "NY", there is no picture of a Giant. Green Bay Packers = a "G", no guy packing a box. Columbus Blue Jackets = a flying star..nobody's wearing a blue jacket, or a jacket of any kind. We een have our very own Simpson College Storm. Their logo is a cloud. No lightning, thunder or even rain anywhere on their logo. Just a cloud. Isn't a "Storm" a by product of a cloud? Why not just be called the clouds?

My point is the logo does not have to match the name. The name is just a play on the logo.

Last point. As for stereotypes, if people think we are farmers & hicks, what does it matter? If people see movies with farmers & cornfields, so what? How does what others think of us really matter? When I think of NY or Chicago, I think of the big cities, yet both Illinois & New York have probably more rural areas as a whole then populated. But does this really matter? Certain places portray certain images. I'm not embarrased if people associate where I live with farmers, corn or even angry cartoon pigs....sticks & stones will break my bones...you know the rest.

Don't know how we're going to make it through a full season of hockey seeing as how we're sitting next to each other with our our season tix, but somehow we'll manage...oink. oink. Go Pigs....errr Chops.

A-Lo said...

Good response. You changed my opinion on one thing. You're right. I do not care what people's perception of Iowa is. I love being from Iowa and appreciate it for what it is, especially as I get older.

As for the point that the logo does not have to match the name. Exactly! So why do we have to have an ugly pig? A star or a letter would be much better! The fact that they made it a pig means they were trying to show a correlation.... that does not match! I would feel much better about the name if there was not a pig to go with it! In fact....chops is growing on me. The pig is not!

We can continue this when we are sitting next to each other at the games. Maybe we can watch a little hockey while we debate.

alienhockey said...

I'll try not to spit BBQ sauce from my Pork Chop on Stick at you during our discussions.