Sunday, May 23, 2010

Puck Preaching

Happy Sunday Morning!
As I sit at Cup O Kryptonite drinking my weekly Mate Latte, waiting for my religious hockey buddies, I figured I'd preach from the hockey pulpit and shed light on the current hockey news.

Speaking of Cup O Kryptonite, they became the first ever ABC League Gabe Fleming Cup Champions. In a convincing win over Red Alert, they ended the season as regular season champs and took home the hardware on May 19, 2010. Congrats to all the Cup players and to all teams. The season could not have turned out better if I scripted it in advance. With terrific competition & very few issues, the inaugural season was a huge success. Have a great summer and hope to see all back in the fall!

There are some that just couldn't end with the ABC League and wanted to continue their hockey fix. For this, the Summer Scramble was created. A short 5 week season that will play twice per week begins today. We chose 4 new captains and through a well scouted draft, they picked their teams one by one. This session combines players from both the C & D leagues in hopes of scrambling up the talent and teams. Playing twice per week should provide the fix we need before the ice comes up in Mid-June. Good luck to all and hope the league turns out "sunny-side up"!
A previous blog entry confirmed my confidence with the Blackhawks as I showed my support by putting my mortgage on the line by betting on the Hawks to win the cup (well maybe it was only $10). As I watched Friday's game with 2 other fans (Mikey is a die-hard while Adam has his doubts at times), we saw a young fiery Hawks team show that nobody can contain them. Niemi proving he can hang with the other big names that aren't even in the playoffs (ala Brodeur, Luongo, etc.). So in religious fashion, today the die-hards (and yes probably Lowell too) will be watching the game at the Ridgemont and Mikey is even bringing a broom.....now that's confidence!

Have a great Sunday and make sure you don't shave your playoff beards yet!






No comments: