Saturday, September 5, 2009

Playing for the Fleming Cup

With the ABC League start just around the corner, we felt we needed to start a tradition of playing for a Championship Trophy.

The NHL has the Stanley Cup which according to Wiki is:


The Stanley Cup (French: La Coupe Stanley) is an ice hockey club cup trophy, awarded annually to the National Hockey League (NHL) playoffs champion. It has been referred to as The Cup, The Holy Grail, or facetiously (chiefly by sportswriters) as Lord Stanley's Mug.[1] The Stanley Cup is surrounded by numerous legends and traditions, the oldest of which is the celebratory drinking of champagne out of the cup by the winning team.

I felt we needed something similar with some meaning to it as well. So we have named our top award as The Fleming Cup in honor & memory of Gabe Fleming. Gabe was an adult C league player that passed away on Saturday, May 23 2009 and as his obituary stated "Gabe enjoyed playing and watching hockey and died with his skates on. "


With 6 strong teams in its inaugural year (wow sounds like the Original 6), the Cup is up for grabs. Best of luck to all in pursuit of this prized possession.

6 comments:

Lax Guy said...

That is the most fitting tribute possible. Bravo, Joe.
BTW, Cup O Kryptonite is going to win. My time off to get lacrosse started has only made me stronger; hours of playing "hockey through the air" has improved my vision, coordination, and strength (although my skates have not been worn since January). I have been eagerly anticipating my return to Cup. Add the newcomers to the core of Matt's team as the missing pieces from last spring and you get the idea. Cup will be the first team to hoist the Fleming Cup.

Pete Anthan said...

I have been lying on the couch, conserving my energy, and watching "Miracle". Irwins will win the Fleming Cup handily. See you guys on the ice.

Aly said...

As Gabe's sister-in-law I want to thank you for honoring Gabe's memory and his love for the game in such a way that he would be so proud of. Good luck to all teams!

Hope to see you all at the Gabe Fleming Memorial Hockey Scholarship Fund tournament on September 26th.

Aly

Zak said...

I love the way the Hockey community has come together to honor my brother. He loved this sport and he lives on in our memory every time we step on the ice or tip one back watching our favorite teams.

Pam said...

What a great way to honor Gabe!

Thank you from his Aunt.

Anonymous said...

To say I am overcome with emotion puts it lightly. Thank you so much for honoring my husband. He is so missed!