Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pump You Up

Today, I attended Francis Wathier's Dryland Clinic. I know. Most of you are asking yourselves, "Why did he do that?", "He's is in top physical shape and doesn't need it."

Although that may be partially true, I still believe everyone can benefit from additional exercise.

Seriously, I was extremely impressed. The structure, instruction & setting was fantastic. Francis had us (a group of 15) working through a warm up set of stretches that we did together and then on to 5 independent stations. We were divided into groups of 3 where we moved through skill specific drills.

I always enjoy physical activities. Hockey is a great workout that happens to be alot of fun. At the same time, I like playing catch with my son, biking and other activities. My cousin Mike & I have run the Bix race in Davenport, IA for 5+ years now. It's a 7 mile run. We're not runners, but enjoy the thrill of competition and doing something different. I've done other activities like indoor rock climbing & skiing. Each one makes you a better rounded person (and athlete).

So when the opportunity came to train off -ice, I had to try it. My older son, Nicholas, is doing the kids Hy-vee Triathlon. We've run around Gray's Lake already, but I thought this would be something we could do together to get in shape. It was better than expected.

Francis ran us through exercises that could be used for any sport. Some were there as soccer players. As for hockey related....perfect. Quick feet, core strength, agility, power were all covered. We ended with a great ab workout & finally a stretch.

Although I can work out on my own, it is easier and more fun to do something structured. I would encourage anyone wanting to get in better shape to at least give his training a try. Although his clinic is based on a 7 week course, he allows participants to pay per session. Some can't make every one, so this works well. Its $20 for the 1 hour 15 minute session and worth every penny. Personal trainers run $40-50 /hour so his is a bargain. If anyone wants to join me for next Monday's session, let me know. I'd love to introduce others to the joy (and pain) I felt.

There were many kids there with only 2 adults. I personally think the adults (and older kids) get more out of it. I want some company for my remaining sessions, so let me know if you want to tag along.

No comments: