Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hockey Players with Class

I watch & play in my fair share of adult league games and have done my best to help promote fair play among the varying skill levels. I have seen games played where a C league game may have A & B level players taking control of a game and teams not being equal or fair. As commissioner of the D league, I also field concerns about players that are "too good" or uneven teams. I take these all in stride and attempt to make any necessary adjustments to make things fair.

Last Thursday at a D league game, I saw something that really made me think about fairness & class among hockey players.

I watched as Team Alien took on Cup O Kryptonite for the the last game. It was a game where Alien came out of the gates with a big lead, and Cup O Kryptonite slowly caught up to make for a tight game. Its not the score that caught my attention, but rather certain individual plays that stood out. During one play, Natalia had the puck in the offensive zone and a player from the opposition who was near her...stopped. He did not make a play, steal the puck or get in her way. She was allowed to make a pass uncontested. My first thought was "what's he doing?", but then I flashed back.....

I rented some ice time awhile back and invited some players of varying skill levels. Most were very beginner. I remember a player coming at me with the puck that I knew I could take it from, but skated backwards until they were able to get a shot on goal. This went on the entire game as those who were better skaters, allowed others an opportunity to control the puck, make a pass or shoot instead of trying to steal every time. What benefit would it be to be the dominating player and not let others develop?

Now back to the D league game. Here was a player significantly better than Natalia and he was going to give her a chance to "develop"...but wait, I then thought, this is a league game and their team is down. There is a score, standings, pride, etc on the line. Sure, I allow players to get better at a recreational time, but not in a league game. This is a time for no mercy. Maybe this was just a fluke occurence and the player had a brief mental lapse and thought that he was at a "Stick & Puck" where this was expected. Just as I finished that thought, Julie Miller was going the other way. A player from Alien was fast approaching as I watched from the stands thinking "steal that puck and go for the breakaway!" Again, something strange happened....nothing. The Alien player stopped and allowed her to swing her stick not once, but twice to make contact.

Back to the past my mind raced. I was in a game where the two teams were fairly evenly matched. I was probably the weak link in what seemed like an A league game, but I remember one play that I will never forget. My style of play in a game that speed was to deliver the puck to a better player in order to make an offensive rush. As I skated out of my defensive zone with the puck, I glanced up only to see my opponent coming fast at me. For those who know Simon Goheen, I don't need to say anymore. Here was a player who could outplay me if he had butter knives taped to his sneakers. I saw my left wing wide open on the left just ahead of me and had plenty of time to get the pass there....but of course my whiff of the puck caused it to trickle perfectly onto Simon's stick. With my head down thinking "way to go bonehead", I see him stop and lightly tap the puck back to me saying "try that one again." I'm sure he doesn't remember that specific play, because he's probably done that 100 times.

After remembering all these instances from my past, I watched the rest of the D league game noticing the courtesy of opposing players allowing players to work on their skills. No cheap shots, arguing, dominating...just classy play, pats on the back and even Matt Johnson visiting the penalty box with a smile on his face (and on his victims face as well).

I wanted to share these stories to remind everyone why we play. Everyone at some point was not the best player in their league or team. Maybe some of us have been treated with class from another player and allowed to develop. Maybe those that go out and dominate a game where they are the best on the ice (and we've all seen this player) were not treated with class by their opponents. If they were beat up, knocked down and never given a chance to make a play, they may feel thats the way the game is played. I'm not advocating giving up in a league game, or playing down to a level where the opponent is not even challenged, but there needs to be a balance.

So it was Friday morning breakfast hockey yesterday and playing against me was Toby Petersen (NHL Edmonton Oiler last year). As I skated to the puck that was against the boards, I turned to make a pass and of course put it right on Toby's stick who was a few feet from me. Once again my head down again saying "nice play bonehead", I get the puck back from Toby as he says "that was an unfair steal, do that again."

Now thats class.

Click Here to See Toby

No comments: